Sunday, August 18, 2013

DIY Fabric Wreath



I love wreaths like this and I am always looking at them on Etsy, but I really did not need to spend $50+ on a wreath for the front door so I decided to figure out how to make one for myself. Here are the results and step-by-step tutorial of how I made a fabric wreath.

You will need the following:
  • Pinking Shears
  • Ruler
  • 2-3 yards of fabric (Amount depends on the width of the fabrics you choose. It needs to yield approximately 250 of the 4x4 fabric squares.)
  • 14 inch Straw Wreath Form (do not remove the plastic wrapping)
  • Tacky Glue/Elmer's Glue
  • Small plastic bowl or paper plate
  • Phillips head screwdriver (Anything with a decent handle that is narrow and somewhat pointy will do.)

Instructions:
 
Step 1- Using the pinking shears and ruler, cut your fabric into 4x4 squares.  

 
I chose three different fabrics for my wreath. The solid blue happened to be a piece that was exactly 36x36" so I was able to get 80- 4" squares. The other two fabrics were 36x48" so I cut 84-4" squares from each of them and had roughly a one foot remnant left of each one (Total of 248 squares).

Step 2- Pour a small puddle of glue into the plastic bowl (refill bowl as needed).

Step 3- Take the screwdriver and place the tip into the center of one of the fabric squares. Fold the fabric square around it and then dip the end into the bowl of glue.
  
Step 4- Keep the glue dipped fabric square held around the screwdriver and push it into the wreath. 
 
 
The technique of dabbing the fabric with glue and pushing it into the wreath using the screwdriver keeps all of your fabric squares looking nice and fluffy from the start. Plus, the glue won't allow the pieces to pull out easily, as they would if you attached them with a straight pin.
 
Step 5- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until all of your fabric squares are in the wreath form.

Tips:
I put a few of one color in at the start and then moved to the second and third colors following the same pattern to make sure all three colors were used throughout. Also, a few of the pieces got pushed in further than I wanted initially so if this happens when you are making yours, make sure to fluff them back out right away before the glue dries because they will not move later.
 
 
 
 
  
 
Finished! I am really pleased with how it turned out. The back of the wreath is not covered so just make sure the sides are covered completely and that the inner part of the wreath is not easily visible. I had enough pieces to pretty much fully cover the inside of the wreath. I am going to be looking for a cute wooden "T" to add to one of the sides, but I like it even without the initial.
 
I am so excited to have our wreath up on the door! The blues and browns are nice colors for the end of summer/early fall.
 

Back door.

Declan was a big help while I worked on this so he got to
play with it for a minute before we hung it outside.
 
 
 




1 comment:

  1. Hi there! Great to see someone out there making same wreaths I do. However, the hardest thing about making this wreath is cutting the fabric. Those pinking shears do a number on my thumbs. Any ideas? I use a foam wreath and I punch 4-5 rows of circles with Philips screwdriver. I use tacky glue and fill the holes (10 holes at a time) and then do the fabric. Now that I'm getting older, my arthritis doesn't let me do as much. Your wreath is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete