Sunday, September 1, 2013

Cheap Challenge 2013- Week 4 and Final 3 Days

August 22-31
Spending total: $56.37


Groceries 
Eating Out
Gas
Household
Entertainment
Clothing
Dog Needs
$0.00
$0.00
$20.00
$5.37
$31.00
$0.00
$0.00

I was really worried going into this week since we had just over $15 remaining in the budget. Luckily, the week began with our trip to Parris Island, which I had already said would not count against the budget since we could not plan when my brother was going to graduate and it just happened to fall in the month we had picked for the Cheap Challenge. We were there from the 22nd-25th and we actually spent hardly any money because the home we stayed in during the trip was paid for in advance by my parents, we rode up as a family so travel was also covered for all of the kids in the family by our parents, and my dad did just as he did for everyone else's graduations and treated us all to dinner when we ate out.

We did not go grocery shopping at all the last week. We had purchased enough the week before that we even made it through with enough milk for Declan. We also toughed it out and ate some really strange dinners that we pieced together from the pantry odds and ends I mentioned last week. We did have to stop at the store and buy a pack of paper towels though because we were completely out. We bought a cheaper brand and a smaller pack than we normally would, but it still cost us $5.37.

Jake and I both continued to pack our lunches this last week and we both had days free meals due to luncheons and such during the week. I got two lunches out of the planning meeting we had on Thursday. We had salads from Urban Cookhouse and I had enough leftover for my lunch the next day. This was a big bonus since I love their food, but definitely could not have stayed anywhere near budget if I had been spending $9 or more on lunch each day. I also had a coupon for a free drink from Starbucks since my birthday is August 30th so it was nice to be able to get a coffee this week.

Wade and Fia had enough food to make it through the last of the challenge, but we are definitely going to need to go to the store and get them some more dog food early next week.

Our entertainment purchases hurt us this last part of the challenge. Although we had free tickets and food at the Barons game we attended on the 29th, we did still have to pay the $5 parking fee. We also went home to see my brother while he was still on leave and one of the things he wanted to do was go to a football game. We paid $12 to get in and then spent $14 at the concession stand to get food and drinks (it was so hot at the game!).

We had to make one final gas purchase for the drive home this weekend. I have decided I absolutely hate buying gas! I never realized just how much we spend on it from month to month. I did not realize it was goint to turn out to be our highest expense this month.

Now, I know I busted the budget instantly with that one purchase at the football game, but I wanted to go ahead and list out the rest of our spending for this last portion of the challenge because we actually came incredibly close to staying under $250. I am disappointed that we went over, but I am still really proud of how much we saved during this month. My birthday was the night of the football game and I know $26 is probably the smallest amount Jake has ever spent on celebrating my birthday in the 9 years we have been together. That right there is a win in my book! :)

Budget remaining: -$40.47

No comments:

Post a Comment