Thursday, October 25, 2012

Baby in a Pumpkin


I saw this idea on Pinterest with this pictures used as example:
      Baby in a pumpkin, from Ellementary Home. ellementaryhome
 
After seeing it I knew I wanted to try this with Declan, but decided it would look cuter if he were outside in the pumpkin (plus, the idea of having my son in a potentially wobbly pumpkin atop a table was slightly terrifying). I began the search for pumpkins, but quickly realized none of the pumpkins I saw were going to be big enough. I mean, seriously, don't Wal-Mart and Aldi realize there are parents out there searching for a pumpkin to plop their 27.5 inch baby/18 pound baby into?
 
Finally, on my third trip to the store, and what I decided would be my final dive into the pumpkin bins, I was able to find not one, but two pumpkins that met my criteria: huge, minimal dirt, no ugly marks, and a flat bottom (no, I'm not picky at all). When I got home I unloaded the two big pumpkins along with the bags of baby pumpkins and squash and washed everything with soap and hot water. It was a safe assumption that Declan would find a way to get everything in his mouth.
First, we wanted to get some pictures of Declan outside of the pumpkin:
 


 
He wasn't very amused with us and needed a diaper change so we took a break and then took these:

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Afterward, Jake gave Declan a bottle and let him take a nap while I got to work gutting the pumpkin and setting everything up in a sunny part of the yard. During this time I decided not to cut leg holes because I had also seen a few pictures where the baby was all curled up down in the pumpkin or standing in it so obviously we should try that, too.
 
We went outside and went to work placing Declan in the pumpkin and realized there was absolutely no way he would be fitting down in that pumpkin without leg holes. The boys went back inside while I proceeded to figure out how to cut decent holes without cutting the hand I had down inside the pumpkin. (Did I mention I have never carved a pumpkin before?) Finally, I made it work and we finally got to take some pictures.










 
As you can see, Declan wasn't much for smiling because he was too busy nibbling on the inside of the pumpkin, but we think he looks pretty adorable no matter what. We even got several shots of Fia checking out all of the fun. :)
 
 

After Mommy taking a million pictures in about 10 minutes, Declan was done with being in the pumpkin so we all went inside and turned his little pumpkin into an upside down jack-o-lantern for the front porch. Now, I just have to figure out what in the world to do with him for Thanksgiving. Happy Halloween!
 

1 comment:

  1. I love it! He is adorable! Can't wait to finally meet the little man on Christmas!

    ReplyDelete